Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
This Butternut Mac & Cheese is the perfect dish to make during the fall months. It would even be the perfect side dish to make for Thanksgiving. This creamy, delicious dish will definitely be a fall staple at my house. Enjoy this yummy recipe!
- 3 cups cooked pasta (I used rigatoni)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ tsp fresh sage minced
- ½ tsp fresh thyme minced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup butternut squash purée
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
1. Cook pasta according to the package. Tips: Generously salt your pasta water and do not rinse your pasta.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter down, and then add the flour and whisk to combine.
3. Add the milk, continuing to whisk, until combined and brought to a simmer. Add your fresh herbs and spices.
4. Whisk in your butternut squash purée and cheese until melted and smooth.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in cooked pasta. Season to taste and serve with parmesan cheese.
* For a thinner sauce, add more milk. For a thicker sauce add more cheese.