Lemon Chicken Soup
This Greek-style Lemon Chicken Soup is my go-to in the fall and winter months. This soup is a great way to naturally detox your system. It's super low carb, high in protein, and jam-packed with nutrients. I would eat this every day if I could!
1/2 large white onion
1 large carrot
2 tbsp olive oil
3 celery sticks
4 cloves of garlic
2 chicken breasts or shred a whole rotisserie chicken
6 cups of chicken broth
1 tbsp salt & pepper
2 tbsp fresh dill and parsley
1 cup of hot broth
3 egg yolks
3 lemons (juiced)
1. Saute 1/2 of your white onion (diced), 1 large carrot (diced), 2 zucchinis (chopped), 3 celery sticks (diced), and your 4 cloves of garlic (chopped) in 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
3. Saute for another few minutes, then sear 2 chicken breasts 2-3 minutes each side in a separate pan. I usually get a rotisserie chicken and shred it in a bowl so it saves me a lot of time.
4. Add the chicken to the pot and then add 6 cups of chicken broth, 1 tbsp of salt and pepper, and 2 tbsp of fresh dill and parsley.
5. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 45-1 hour.
6. Set aside 1 cup of hot broth when the soup is cooked and slowly add it to 3 egg yolks (1 tbsp at a time) while whisking quickly. This prevents the egg from scrambling when you add it to the soup.
7. Remove the chicken breasts, shred it and add back in the juice from 3 lemons and the egg yolk mixture. If you already added the shredded rotisserie chicken to the soup then you just need to do the lemon juice and egg yolk mixture.
8. Taste it and add more salt and pepper as needed.
9. Serve with fresh parsley, dill, and a lemon slice on top!
This soup makes 6 servings.